Illinois unemployment is a joint federal-state program. Unemployment insurance in Illinois is administered by the Illinois Department of Employment Security.
In order to be eligible to collect unemployment in the state of Illinois, you must:
1. Have worked as an employee in Illinois for a covered company in the first four of the last five calendar quarters
2. Not have been fired for cause
3. Be able to work and be actively seeking employment
The necessary things for filing are:
• Social Security Number, date of birth and name of any dependents
• Names, mailing addresses, employment dates, and separation reason for all employers worked for during the past 18 months
• If you are not a United States citizen, your Alien Registration Number
• If you worked since Sunday of the week your are filing, the amount of gross wages earned this week.
You can file for Illinois unemployment online, providing you have the following software installed and operational on your computer:
1. Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, with cookies enabled. IE is the only browser supported by the Illinois unemployment system.
2. Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows Millennium Edition
3. Adobe Reader version 4.0 or later.
You can also file a claim in person at your local Illinois Department of Employment Security office, from 8:30-5pm, Monday through Friday