Happy family

Find a legal form in minutes

Browse US Legal Forms’ largest database of 85k state and industry-specific legal forms.


Kansas unemployment is a joint state-federal program that is administered by the state of Kansas. If you have worked in the state of Kansas as an employee and lost your job or had your hours reduced through no fault of your own, you may be eligible for Kansas unemployment.

The requirements for filing are:

  •  Social Security and drivers’ license numbers.
  •  Mailing address, including zip code and P.O. Box if applicable, your phone number, and the county in which you live.
  •  Name and mailing address of all your employers in the past 18 months, as well as the date you began and stopped working for each employer and the reason you left each job.
  •  If you are not a U.S. citizen, your Alien Registration Number and expiration date.
  •  If you were in any branch of the U.S. the military during the past two years, your DD-214, Copy No. 4.
  •  If you were a federal employee during the past two years, your Standard Form SF-50 or Form SF-8.

You can file either by phone or online.
However, you must file your unemployment claim by phone if:

  •  You worked in a state other than Kansas during the past 18 months.
  •  You filed an unemployment claim with another state during the past 12 months.
  •  You were in the U.S. military or were employed by the federal government during the past 18 months.

There are 12 exceptions in the Kansas unemployment rules that permit you to be eligible for Kansas unemployment if you quit your job under certain conditions:

  • Resigned upon the advice of a licensed and practicing health care provider because of illness or injury.
  • Resigned temporary work to return to your regular full-time employer, and were then laid off.
  • Resigned to enlist in the United States military, but were rejected or delayed from entry.
  • Resigned due to working conditions hazardous to your physical, mental, or moral well being.
  •  Resigned because of harassment by the employer or another employee.
  • Resigned to accept better work, and were then laid off from the next job.
  • Resigned because the employer requested that you violate the law.
  • Resigned due to a violation of the work agreement.
  • Resigned due to a personal emergency.
  • Resigned due to the voluntary or involuntary transfer of your spouse from one job to another.
  • Resigned to enter job training approved under the Federal Trade Act of 1974.
  • Resigned because of circumstances arising from domestic violence.

Inside Kansas