If you have lost your Massachusetts job through no fault of your own, you may be able to collect unemployment benefits from the government. You can visit a walk-in service center or follow the steps given below.
Massachusetts has a telephone hotline for unemployment claims, and you can reach it by dialing 1-617-626-6800, or 1-877-626-6800 if you are calling from area codes 351, 413, 508, 774, or 978. If call volume is high, preference will be given to callers who are following the call in schedule.
- If the last digit of your social security number is 0, 1 or 2, call on Monday
- If the last digit of your social is 3, 4 or 5, call on Tuesday
- If the last digit of your social is 6 or 7, call on Wednesday
- If the last digit of your social is 8 or 9, call on Thursday
- Any social security numbers are OK on Friday and Saturday
You will need to have the following information on hand for your call:
- Birth year
- Social security number
- Past unemployment claim info
- Final date of employment
- Address and phone number
- Names and addresses of all employers in the past 15 months
- Reason for job loss
- Names, birthdays, and social security numbers of dependent children
- Alien registration number, if applicable
Once your application has been accepted, you will need to file a claim each week in order to continue receiving benefits. This can be done online at mass.gov/eolwd.